Menu Call

Speak To A Divorce Specialist

02380 236025

Friendly Divorce Solicitors..
Child Alone With Teddy Bear - Children
Child Looking Sad - Mediation
Gold Wedding Rings - Separation And Divorce
Struggling Couple - Separation Agreements

Advice on Consent Orders

What is a Consent Order?

A Consent Order is the legal document by which financial matters are finalised on divorce. Without this, you are vulnerable to your partner making a financial claim years later.

A Consent Order is like the contraceptive pill, it is 99.9% reliable. It can only be overturned if there has been fraud, a mistake or an “intervening event”.

To qualify as an “intervening event”, the event must be:

  • Soon after the Consent Order has been sealed by the Court (normally within 12 months).
  • Not contemplated and considered at the time of divorce.
  • Sufficiently large to undermine the terms of the Consent Order. That is, if the event had been known about at the drafting stage of the Consent Order then the terms of the Consent Order would have been altered.


  • The Application to set aside must be made promptly.
  • There must be no disadvantage to third parties, who have acquired the relevant property in good faith and for valuable consideration.

What is included in a Consent Order?

The Consent Order will deal with all the financial aspects which the Court has jurisdiction over.

The Former Matrimonial Home – Will it be sold or retained by one of the parties? If it is retained by one spouse (normally the parent with care of the children, will the other party have a charge over the property? Will the owner indemnify the other spouse on the mortgage?).

Other Assets – How will they be distributed? Shares, property, family business, share options, endowment insurance policies etc. All assets of the marriage will be dealt with.

Personal Property and Furniture – Each party normally retains their own goods (unless needs dictate that valuable goods should be sold or transferred to the other spouse). There is a standard clause which states that the goods are retained by the person in whose possession they are in at the time of the Consent Order, and couples should be encouraged to agree direct the division of their CD collection etc, as it is disproportionate cost wise to involve solicitors.

Pension Sharing – Pension sharing, or offsetting the pension against other assets maybe appropriate if there is sufficient pension provision accumulated during the course of the marriage.

Periodic Payments, Maintenance – Maintenance from one party to the other. If so, for how long, two years? Until retirement? Until death or remarriage of the receiving spouse? The Courts must always consider the option of a clean break and encourage the parties to be independent financially, but they will not order this if one party cannot afford to do so.

If there are young children of the marriage the courts will normally make a nominal maintenance order for the parent with care of the children, until the children are 17 or leave full time secondary education, rather than a clean break.

Child Maintenance – Normally the Child Support Agency has jurisdiction for Child Maintenance (The Child Support Agency has been replaced by Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission but the formulas are still the same). However, the Courts can make an Order for Child Maintenance by consent, but either party can apply to the CSA for an Assessment after 12 months.

The Government is seriously considering removing this facility because the CSA cannot cope with its workload, this should be kept in mind if you consider the option to revert to the CSA, or its replacement, in years to come useful. If so, do not include Child Support within your Consent Order.

Child Maintenance above a net income of £2,000.00 per week of the non resident parent is dealt with by the Courts

Private Health Care, Insurance Cover Premiums, School Fees – It is best to list all expenses, especially if one party receives benefits via his/her employment.

Debts – Who will take on the responsibility of any debts of the marriage? If they are joint, will the paying party indemnify their ex spouse?

Neither party to have any claim on the other’s estate when their ex-spouse dies.

Pets – Who keeps them?

Each Consent Order is individual and it is essential to obtain legal advice relevant to your personal circumstances. It is also important to ensure that the document is properly drafted and you understand what you are agreeing to. For example, what are the implications of a nominal maintenance order? What happens if my ex spouse cohabits

Lynne Bastow - Divorce Solicitor

Meet Lynne Bastow

With over 20 years experience, Lynne can provide excellent and valuable advice and has a friendly, positive approach towards all her clients, ensuring you get the best service possible. If you would like my help you can contact me here. Contact Lynne

Read Lynne's Books

If you need more information on divorce, Lynne has published two informative guides on divorce, which you can purchase from Amazon.

The Little Book of Divorce

The Little Book of Divorce

Buy on Amazon
The Little Book of Divorce Dilemmas

The Little Book of Divorce Dilemmas

Buy on Amazon


    Complete the contact form below and we will be in touch soon. Your inquiry is dealt with in the strictest confidence.



      Complete the form below and we will be in touch ASAP. Rest assured your inquiry is dealt with in confidence.